Monday 8 December 2014

Advent Adventures #1

took a trip north last week to kick off the festive season with my sister in her adopted home city of York. It was impossibly festive; full of shoppers , fabulous lights and a lovely atmosphere.

Mum and dad joined us too which was really lovely. Just us girls and our folks doesn't happen all that often and was such a treat. They spoilt us rotten too with a delicious lunch in a very cosy pub close to the minster and later we had tea and cakes in a rather good bookshop. 
We're very similar in our tastes in our family, history and art definitely being our main shared interests, so when Susie ducked down one of York's many curious alleyways and lead us to the breathtaking Holy Trinity Church, we were all very thrilled. (Inside pics = Holy Trinity, external pic = York Minster).

Decked for Yuletide with greenery and candles we history geeks enjoyed a break from the hustle and bustle admiring box pews, Lancet arches and ancient stained glass windows. Talk about memorable x 
Later we couldn't resist the lure of the marvellous medieval fayre at Barley Hall (one of my favourite buildings in the world). The shopping was wonderful and I bought handmade pottery, divine chocolates and wooden instruments to the backdrop of medieval carols and the aroma of mulled wine. Heaven.
So all in all a delicious family day that's got my Christmas off to a wonderful start. How is your Advent going so far?

18 comments:

Mac n' Janet said...

Ah York, one of my favorite English cities. Lucky you!

Unknown said...

I love Holy Trinity church! Great photos :)
x

CJ said...

That sounds like a really wonderful day, and in a very beautiful city. I'm glad you had such a lovely time. I especially like the sound of tea and cake in a bookshop. I really enjoy beautiful old churches as well, it sounds like the perfect day. CJ xx

SandyshoesCornwall said...

We'll be buying the tree at the weekend and will go into full on Christmas mode then, so far I've restricted myself to the odd mince pie and listening to the Troika with the sound of sleigh bells in the background!

I'm sure you'll be pulling out all the stops soon too, Antonia x

VeggieMummy said...

Beautiful photos; I love the one of the outside of the Minster. It's been a few years since we last visited York but I remember it fondly. I bet it really is magical at Christmas. x

Unknown said...

It was an amazing day and I loved seeing you all, can't wait for actual Christmas now I'm so excited :D

driftwood said...

ah Christmas in York, so very lovely, we're heading down in a few weeks, can't wait x

Lisa said...

What a wonderful day to get you all in the festive spirit.
Lisa x

Curlew Country said...

Thanks Eleanor - I could have stayed all afternoon! X

Curlew Country said...

Thanks CJ - it was so lovely to catchup with Susie and tea in a bookshop comes highly recommended! :)

Curlew Country said...

Oh love the Troika! Will have to stick that on my phone :) tree up here and some cards; a bit more to do. Looking forward to seeing yours xx

Curlew Country said...

Thank you :) such a beautiful place. It was heaving but so magical you're right x

Curlew Country said...

Oh hello sis! Xx it w ace fun wasn't it - bless dad being dragged around all those clothes shops; he's such a sport x yes can't wait either - it's so close! See you next weekend xx

Curlew Country said...

Oh have a lovely time, perfect at this time of year x

Alison said...

Oh I loved York when we went. What a wonderful festive visit! xx

Anonymous said...

Hi there steph, I have just found your lovely blog and as I was reading some of your older posts I recognised my favourite little town of Leek! I go there at least twice a week for a coffee and a chat. I'm not too far away - milton. Looking forward to reading some more of your blog now. Jayne

Margaret Dams. said...

What a lovely blog, and the pictures are beautiful. I found you through Under an English Sky :-). And this is beautiful. Fabulous,beautiful England - too late for me to move but can enjoy blogs such as yours and Shirley's and others that I find.
Thank you for sharing this with us.
Margaret

Alicia said...

BEAUTIFUL PICTURES AND PLACES!! HOPE YOU CAN VISIT MY BLOG.