Thursday 22 December 2011

Solstice

To mark the solstice yesterday I went into the garden and gathered up all the greenery I could find to hang from our doors and celebrate the turning of the year and the coming of Christmas.

My patch was looking pretty dreary and very muddy after the snow and I wasn't sure there'd be much at all but in amongst the stalks of dissolving perennials I found ribbons of ivy, glossy holly, fir and lots of laurel so there was plenty for a huge front door bough and some for the kitchen door too.
I decided against wrestling with it all to make a wreath and gathered it all together in a great big swag which to be honest would look more at home on a big wooden farmhouse door (in my dreams!) or a lovely door with stained glass panels and painted in some gorgeous chalky Farrow & Ball shade, but even on our 70s glass panelled thingy it really does cheer me up and makes me sing the holly and the ivy over and over again!
And one last decoration decks the halls, not made by me but something I bought at the craft market in the next village a few weeks ago. I love it's bright cheery colours and patterns so much!
Almost there now. Still plenty to do (more cleaning, baking, still  more wrapping - does it ever end!) but we're all at home now and really looking forward to happy cosy days with precious family, time for fun, sitting back and enjoying it all - and an industrial amount of chocolates I think.

Wishing everyone a joyous and happy, happy Christmas and a peaceful and prosperous New Year for you and all your loved ones. Xxxx

18 comments:

Mum said...

And Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Love from Mum
xx

Country Rabbit said...

oh my! how beautiful- love gathering natural foliage - ive kind of mixed fake with real this year to stop it loosing colour...happy solstice!.
you have made it look so beautiful...that stocking really is a lovely find!- its such a great buzz finding something old to love again ;0)...it fits perfectly in your sweet home...Merry christmas steph, enjoy it with your lovely family xxxx

Fi said...

Merry Christmas Steph,

And thankyou for sharing beautiful moments of your life throughout the year - it is a highlight of my day to read you posts.

Cheers
fi

Leisa said...

A very Happy Christmas to your family. I love your greenery! I so enjoy your lovely blog. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

Please may I? said...

Merry Christmas to you all to.

X x

bellaboo said...

Wishing all at Curlew Country a magical C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S !


*
***
*****
*******
*********
| |

Lyn said...

And a Merry Christmas to you too.
xxx

Attic24 said...

Happy Solstice Steph! i've gathered similar greenery into a jug on my hearth, I really love this particular little winter ritual.
Wishing you a fabulous week ahead with your sweet family ♥
HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

Barri-Jayne said...

Pretty foliage!
Wishing you a Very Merry Christmas!!!

xx

Quilt it and Dotty www.quilt-it.nl said...

Everytime I come to your blog, I come to drink in all the country goodness and the Britishness you bring. Thank you for sharing these wonderfull pictures. Merry Christmas to you and yours and a very happy New Year!

LandGirl1980 said...

Have a lovely jubbly old time!

Anonymous said...

Have a very happy family time together, relax and enjoy yourselves.

The Curious Cat said...

Wow - what a lovely front banner to your blog! Christmas and winter hit home the instant I clicked through! Just wanted to pop by quickly before the madness really kicks off to say Merry Christmas! Hope to catch up with you soon! Much Love xxx

Louise said...

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas
louise x

Carol said...

Wonderful stocking, great foliate (the birds have eaten all our berries, I guess their need was greater!)
Happy Christmas to you and yours.
Carol xx

Annie said...

A very Merry Christmas to you and yours x Oh and I love swags of greenery, they're often much nicer than a wreath.

driftwood said...

may you have a very special and magical Christmas x

melanie said...

Love the stocking :) I hope you had a lovely Christmas, and all the best for 2012 :) xxx