Wednesday 9 January 2008

Back in the old routine

(We went for a walk around this lake on Sunday and the boats were frozen into the water - brrr!)

Treasure hunting success, yippee! It's been freezing here this week, really damp and so cold its makes your bones chilly. Listen at me, I sound like my Grandma! Anyway, to cheer myself up (not that I really needed an excuse), I visited the fantastic charity shop for the local cats and dogs home. Its a complete Aladdin's cave and has the most fantastic china and glass and is ridculously cheap.
The owner is quite an eccentric character, sort of a local celebrity and just been given an obe for saving 30,000 animals in the past 30 years - amazing. She's quite wealthy apparently, made a lot of money in property and art dealing but is a complete slave to the animals. Lots of people help her out volunteering in the shop and their philosophy is that any pennies are gratefully received so they sell everything at bargain basement prices because so many people donate items they need to make space in the shop.
Over the past few weeks I've come away with the most lovely things, six pretty china plates for £1 (I was only going to have 4 but the chap serving said "take the lot please, you're doing us a favour"), this lovely china cup and saucer covered in pansies for £1 again, a pair of crystal sherry glasses and some balloon brandy glasses my friend is looking for, two lovely dining chairs for £7, pictures, linens, oooh its my favourite shop!
I had more joy in town, the green Woods pitcher reminds me of lots of china my grandma had, I bought this sweet little tea service for £2 and a found a beautiful, vintage, double strand pearl bracelet for £1.50 and this lovely painting, which was a wee bit more but I couldn't resist and it does look fab in our hall. One day, I will have a garden like this, honestly!
And I won this lovely embroidered tablecloth on ebay. I'm saving it until the spring, maybe for Easter when a huge bunch of daffs and tulips in my blue spotty jug will look just perfect with it. Roll on the next chocolate overload!

18 comments:

No one is you ...& that's your power said...

It certainly looks like you found some lovely treasures.I love the picture of the cottage and the table cloth is beautifull. I love floral china it is so nice. I always wonder when I get old plates , cups etc who they belonged to , if they could tell a story? i bet it would be interesting. That lake looks lovely but so cold !. Going back to plates etc , I have run out of space and have to stop ( try and stop !)buying them.
Take care
Dominique

Elizabeth Chadwick said...

Steph, I keep thinking of you every time I go in the charity shops in West Bridgford. I keep seeing all sorts of pretty china and thinking 'Hmmm, Steph would love this!'
I still owe you an e-mail, I will get round to it, I promise. I have a ton of Akashic records to send to you as well...
Happy New Year to you and yours and happy antique hunting!

Nonnie said...

I have a green jug just like that sitting in my bedroom. It used to belong to my Grandma. I think she had other things in the range too but that was all that survived. I love the colour of it. All your other finds are lovely.

French Knots said...

What lovely tresures. And some great bargains too, the charity shops round here have really gone up in price recently which is better for my cluttered house I suppose!

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

What wonderful treasure seeking and finds!
I remember we had the pink rosebud tea service when I was a child.. wish we had kept it...
very pretty !
Tea and cake taste so much nicer served in lovely china.

Mx

tess said...

the floral tea set reminds me of my gran, she always had lovely bone china cups and saucers, but none of hers ever matched - that was the joy of it, deciding what cup to have with what saucer.

Ragged Roses said...

What beautiful things! I think I'm going to have to come shopping with you!
Kimx

Kathy said...

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely finds with us, Steph. I adore looking around Charity Shops too. Tomorrow I am off to North Devon to see my folks and there there are some good charity shops too. Kathyx PS How do you add photos to your blog - My photos always end up at the top. Help!

annie's abode said...

I wish we had some lovely thrift shops here - I never seem to see these lovely things.

I love the tablecloth and I can just imagine it with the daffodils at Easter - lovely!
Ax

mollycupcakes said...

Hi Steph,
What lovely items I just love little shops like that. Would love to come and have a look around with you, we'd spend hours looking for vintage goodies lol
Beautiful rose tea set that's my fav.
I have a plate like that and it only gets used on birthdays lol
Keep warm sweetie.
Hugs.
Catherine x

jessica daisy said...

Looks like you had a fantastic week Steph, you've got some lovely things for your new home!

Charity shopping is a bit like that sometimes, isn't it, somedays I can't find anything, or things are just too expensive for my liking, then other days it's like christmas has come early, and I can't wait to photograph everything and show it off to all you lot!

Jessx

Anonymous said...

What fabulous finds Steph, I would love to visit that shop for the cats and dogs home, great cause and great bargains! I especially love the cottage picture and pansy cup and saucer, your home is going to look prettier and prettier. Jackie Mx

Carol said...

Lovely treasures you have found.
What bargin prices too.
Our Charity shops have cottoned on put up their prices.
Hugs,
Carol x

Perfectly Lovely said...

Steph...What lovely finds, the teaset is absolutly gorgeous and I love the little watercolour, I think we all have a dream of owning a garden like that...How pretty.
I will popping in to every charity shop I pass from now on!

Jennifer x

Jennie said...

I've just found your blog and I love it!
I shall now have to read all your archives to catch up!
Great finds in the charity shop. It is great that you have found one that is so good and full of lovely things.

julia said...

Happy new year Steph and welcome to the world little one!
Love all your finds, I have a jug exactly the same, isn't it great when you find these bargains, gives me a buzz.
The house is looking fab, looks like you've been there forever, it was a good move I think!
Julia xx
ps. How did you get the image into your title, I've tried and just cannot do it, I'm so useless on the computer.

jessica daisy said...

Hi Steph, could you do me a favour. My sister-in-law has recently started blogging, could you pop by her blog, and leave her a comment for a bit of moral support. I gave her the award in my last post click on the 'Ziakoko' link.
Thanks, Jessx

P.S. I'm making the embroideries into a collection of cushions, but I'm waiting on the delivery of my new overlocker before I finish them off.

jessica daisy said...

Hi steph, I remembered you bought the rose teaset in this post, and I noticed it looks like you have 5 cups, 5 saucers, and only 3 plates, is this right, or have you got the other plates elsewhere? only I have some spare plates and saucers from the same set, and wondered if you would like them to complete the set?
Jessx