Friday 13 July 2007

I must go down to the sea again...

the lonely sea and sky
and all I ask is a tall ship
and a star to steer her by.

These are a few lines from John Masefield's beautiful poem which I first saw decorating the wall of a bathroom in an interiors magaizne. I don't usually have much time for poetry but this is so serene and evocative and it came to me in Port Isaac on holiday last week. Its such a quaint place but thankfully not completely overrun by tourist, unlike neighbouring Padstow. I guess the locals must see things rather differently.

The scenery was astounding and is the setting for the Doc Martin series. They were filming while we were there and we saw Martin Clunes striding in and out of a pretend pharmacy at the bottom of the road we were staying on, looking very stern in rather a nice suit. Can't wait to see it on the TV.

On our final afternoon B and I spent a last hour on the beach gathering sea treasures, the usual stuff, a few seashells and stones and my favourite - sea glass. I love the subtle, sea-tumbled, especially the aquamarine and torquoise bits - although I admit to tossing back the bits that have obviously come from Newcastle brown ale bottles. We've half filled a glass jar with them and its sitting in the bathroom as a reminder of our lovely stay in Cornwall.

No comments: